Picture via USA Today Sports
Surprise Surprise the fookin King is back.
We’re days away from the return of the Champ Champ, the Notorious one, the king of New York, the Proper Twelve don. That’s right. Conor McGregor steps back into the Octagon in 8 days to fight Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone in Las Vegas at UFC 246 on ESPN+ PPV. I got predictions, picks and what can happen after the night of fights.
Kicking off the Main Card (10PM ET on ESPN+ PPV) we got (picks in bold):
- #9 LW Anthony Pettis (+195) vs #UR LW Diego Ferreira (-250).
- Diego is on a 5 fight win streak and 16-2. Pettis is coming off a loss to Nate Diaz which led to Nate calling out Jorge for the BMF belt. I see Diego winning by decision.
- #6 SW Claudia Gadelha (-120) vs #11 Alexa Grasso (-110)
- The odds tell the story. This is a tough fight to score and predict. Gadelhia 3-2 in her last 5 fights. 4 of those went to decision. Grasso has 6 UFC fights and is 3-3 with all but one fight going to decision. I’m giving the edge to Gadelha with a decision win.
- #UR HW Maurice Greene (-135) vs #12 HW Aleksi Oleinik (+105)
- Greene is 3-1 in the UFC with two finishes and one decision. Oleinik is a vet. A professional record of 57-13-1, this guy loves him some submissions. 2-3 in his last 5, I’m predicting Oleinik to upset Greene via submission.
- Co-Main Event: #3 BW Holly Holm (-145) vs #5 BW Raquel Pennington (+115)
- Last time Holm was in the octagon, she got kicked right in the kisser by the GOAT Amanda Nunes. Ever since Holm lost to Miesha Tate, she hasn’t done much in the UFC. 2-3 in her last 5 and 2-5 in her last 7. I feel like this could very well be the last time we see Holly Holm in the octagon, win or loss. Pennington hasn’t been bad in the UFC. 3-2 in her last 5 and 5-2 in her last 7. She took Amanda Nunes to 5 rounds before getting the piss beaten out of her 2 minutes into the 5th round. She beat upcomer Irene Aldana via decision in her last fight and could very well upset Holm this fight. I see Holm finishing Pennington via KO/TKO.
- Main Event: #4 WW Conor McGregor (-310) vs #5 WW Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone (+240)
- Who the fook is that guy? Welcome back Conor and welcome back to the win column. His first fight in over a year, Notorious is 3-2 in his last 5 with 2 KO’s. Conor might be moving up to WW, but he doesn’t look chunky like he did when he fought Nate Diaz and Khabib. He looks like he’s been shoulder pressing the population of Dublin this whole camp. The finish king and just about every record holder in the UFC, Cowboy is coming off getting knocked out by Justin Gaethje. He’s 3-2 in his last 5. Cowboy hasn’t really beaten anyone relevant, and his last two fights have resulted in KO losses to Justin Gaethje and Tony Ferguson. As much as I love Cowboy Cerrone, I see him getting knocked out within two rounds. Conor via KO/TKO.
You can watch the UFC 246 prelims on ESPN2 starting at 8PM ET.
The prelims are headlined by my current UFC crush and Flyweight contender Maycee Barber (-1000) who has a professional record of 8-0-0 and a UFC record of 3-0-0. She’ll be facing Roxanne Modafferi (+600) who has a UFC record of 2-6. Mayee Barber will stay #1 in our hearts and will move towards that #1 contender status in the Flyweight division.
You can watch the UFC 246 Early prelims on ESPN+ or UFC Fight Pass starting at 6:15PM ET.
The early prelims have a potential FOTN in them. Tim Elliot (-110) faces Askar Askarov. Is his last name the same as his first but with an OV at the end of it? It is. Wild.
As far as post fight, here’s what I see going down:
- After Conor puts on a masterclass, everyone and their grandmother knows he’s going to call out Khabib Nurmagomedov. The bossman Dana White wants it, Conor wants it, the world wants it. I don’t. I want Khabib vs Tony Ferguson SO SO BAD. The 4th times the charm. Give me Conor vs Gaethje or Conor vs Poirier for the #1 contender. Winner gets Khabib. God I love the WW division.
- All Maycee Barber wants to do is beat the Instagram likes out of Paige VanZant….and maybe win the FW title. Even though Maycee needs better competition than PVZ, she still goes on to call her out. Paige VanZant fights in May as she faces Amanda Ribas.
- As I said in the Holm vs Pennington breakdown, I think this is Holm’s last fight in the octagon. Any octagon. Dana is going to talk her into it. Holm produced the most shocking in UFC history when she kicked Ronda Rousey’s teeth into the back of her throat which eventually led to Rousey’s downfall.